Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Dragged back into the blogging fray by a meme

MoWo (Mother-Woman) was ever so kind to tag me for a meme. Seriously haven't had one of these in a while, especially since I haven't posted in so long. Life has stepped in and said "you think you have the bandwidth to blog, think again." But I do think about posting quite a bit, I have interesting stuff to post about (at least to me), just finding time in the day to do it all.

This meme comes from BlogRhet and like I said before MoWo passed it on to me. This is a good thing I think. Getting me back into the swing of things and in touch with why I started this blog in the first place.

1. Go back to first or early post. How would you describe your voice back in those early days?Who were you writing to? What was your sense of audience (if any) back then?
In my very first post I said that i was writing for me. I needed a space to write and get thoughts, ideas, frustrations out there. I wanted something more than a journal that would just be put into a box when I finished filling it out.

2. Do you remember when you received your first comment? What was it like?
My first comment was on my second post which City Mama referenced on BloggingBaby (now known as ParentDish) . It came from IrishTwinMama, who did not have a link to blog or email, otherwise I would have contacted her right away to say thanks. I was shocked that someone who I didn't know was taking the time to read my blog not to mention that it was put in the spotlight after one not so great post. But my little rant about wanting to knit while I watched a movie hit a chord with someone else and that made me realize that there was this great community out in the interwebs.

3. Can you point to a stage where you began to feel that your blog might be part of a conversation? Where you might be part of a larger community of interacting writers?
Right with that second post. When CityMama mentioned my blog I felt like I was welcomed in to a new community. A community that I was fully aware was there but that I was never a part of before. I was an outsider reading all these blogs, shaking my head in agreement to what was being written. After that post and especially once I started receiving comments on a regular basis I did feel like there was this bond being formed, and conversations being started.

4. Do you think that this sense of audience or community might have affected the way you began to write?
This question is tricky. I think one of the main reasons why I haven't written much this year is because I started writing less for myself and more for what other people would find interesting. I would start a post and think, this is so boring, who else cares about this stuff but me. But I have to get past that, get back to that first post when I wrote this:

"Yes, this is all for me. Not for my kids, not for my husband or my work or my dog or my friends. This is for me, the queen of Mamaland, the land where I can feel exhausted and euphoric at the same time. So if you want to read then do, but just remember this is me, me, me. Not yours, all mine."

Now the hard part, who do I tag? I will tag Stephanie of Expressions of Love and Granny of RocRebelGranny who were two of the folks who responded to me when I first answered similar questions from MoWo back in March 2006.

So what have I learned from answering these questions? Got to write for myself just a bit more. We'll see.

4 comments:

Granny said...

I'll give it a whirl but it may take a couple of days.

Thanks for thinking of me and for the email.

landismom said...

Welcome back! I know what you mean about starting to feel like you have to write something that's interesting to other people, I struggle with that all the time.

The Happiest Mom of 1 said...

Interesting questions with interesting answers.

Have a nice weekend!

Catherine said...

Hey there! I just found you via this meme, which I just completed myself and now am back to read the others. Its nice to "meet" you. :)