Thursday, January 11, 2007

Is she ready?

In our house the topic of most of our conversations (at least with my husband and I) have to do with Cat and whether we should follow the Portland Public School District kindergarten cut off age of five by 09/01/07 or push for early admission. At first we were going to push for the early admission but the more we talked and the more research I did (I tend to over research things) all signs seemed to point toward waiting that extra year and starting kindergarten in 2008. But then I talk to Cat and watch how she plays and how she is learning so much and how much she wants to learn and I do think she is ready. But is this just mama pride? You know thinking that your kid is the smartest, wittiest, cutest kid in the world? I mean sure there has to be some of that in there, but I really think she is ready. Is she really going to feel like the littlest kid in class? She is already taller than a lot of her preschool classmates so that won't be an issue. If you ask Cat what school she wants to go to she says kindergarten. We've read Ramona the Pest and all about her going to kindergarten and not being a little "nursery school baby". I just keep going back and forth on what to do. If we pursue early admission it means meeting with the principal, letter from her preschool teacher, and a psychological evaluation (costs about $300-500). I keep waiting for a sign to appear that says she is ready or no way keep her home as long as you can. I also keep thinking that no matter what we decided it might not be the optimal decision for her. I guess this is our first step towards screwing up her life in some way. Come on you know that all parents do that to their kids sooner or later even if they have the best of intentions. I think at some point you just need to forget what all the research says, you know your child best, and follow what seems right. But I don't know what that is yet.

5 comments:

mama without instructions said...

tough choice. i have no advice but have seen the topic "out there" quite a bit lately and have read some compelling testimoniasl about waiting the year. i have no idea what i would do were it my child though. good luck. i bet a sign will appear.

i like the new look!

chichimama said...

Good luck with making your decision. My kids were both born in the middle of the year, and I am grateful that I don't have to face that choice!

Lori said...

i don't know you and i just got a link to your blog a few weeks ago (nice redo, btw). but from reading your latest entry it sounds like you are wanting to pursue the early entry option. if you have the money to spend on the psych eval., then i say go for it and you can always change your mind later.

you do know whats best for your child. forget the research and what anyone else is saying (me included) trust your mama instincts.

Heather Bea said...

We are going to attend "Celebrate Portland Schools" on Feb. 3rd at the Portland Expo center. They are going to have a kindergarten readiness rooms, hopefully they might be able to help us make a decision.

Ginger said...

One thing to consider, because this really meant something to me when we chose to have our daughter wait, is do you want her starting college at 17? I think there are pros and cons either way because now I have a kindergartner who is reading and I am worried she might be bored next year in first grade.