Saturday, October 14, 2006

Comfort Food Weather

I am so happy that it is finally overcast. I am not one of those people who complains when it rains, even when it has been raining for months on end. I love the rain, I love clouds, I love cold temps. I think I actually get a bit depressed when it is sunny for too long. Maybe I should get some help for this disorder?

One of the reasons why I love this weather is because I can make comfort food. Warm yummy casseroles, stews, soups, roasted veggies and the like. So when the new Everyday Food came out with a beautiful picture of beef stew on the front, I was so happy. We went shopping on Thursday and last night I made my first recipe, the red and black bean pies ( I cooked them up in a casserole dish versus the individual dishes). These were so yummy! The kids, yes those picky ones that will hardly eat anything these days, gobbled them up. It was an easy meal, not to much chopping, just a can of this and a can of that. I chose to use a colby/jack blend instead of the pepper jack and it was fine. We also chose to put a little bit of low fat sour cream on top, the kids favorite.

Tonight's recipe is the beef stew from the cover. I took their recipe and added a few more veggies, yams are great in stew. Throughout the week I will be trying quite a few of the recipes, I will let you know which one ends up being my favorite.

Update: The beef stew was not a winner, sorry Martha. I followed the directions adding a few extra veggies and it was just okay. My usual stew, using beef stock, tastes much yummier. I will post that recipe soon.

8 comments:

chichimama said...

I love winter food too. But I have been dithering over what exactally to cook. And now hubby is off for two weeks, so I'm not cooking a stew just for me. Sigh. I'll have to live through you for a while! Please post reviews!

supersugarstar said...

i am not a fan of the weather, but i do love me some comfort food! i'm going to make some soup tomorrow. yummy!

beki said...

That bean dish looks so yummy! I may have to pick up a copy of the magazinejust for that.

Stephanie said...

I live to cook. I absolutely LOVE it. Racheal Ray is my favorite.

Another really great soup (my own recipe):
Beef Mushroom with Wild Rice

1 lb of beef stew meat
2 cans of mushrooms, undrained OR 1 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 qt beef stock
1 box of Rice a Roni's wild rice flavor
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil OR vege oil

Heat the oil in a dutch oven or large soup pot over med-high heat. Brown the beef cubes, tossing frequently, until they are evening browned, about 5 minutes. Remove the beef and set aside. Add the butter. When it is melted, add the onion and cook for a minute or two. Add the rice mix from the box of Rice a Roni. Brown the rice according to the directions on the box. Add the mushrooms (if using fresh mushrooms, brown them for a few minutes before adding the rest of the ingredients). Add the stock, beef cubes, and seasoning packet from the Rice a Roni. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked.

Feeds 4-6.

devinemom said...

this everyday food is quite good i would agree. it is funny how the recipes are either a hit or miss. i have made many of the ones from this issue but not the ones that you tried. i need to do the red and black bean pie looks good!

devinemom said...

just wanted to let you know that you inspired me to make the bean dish for dinner this evening. it was amazing! quite the comfort food if you ask me. goes well with a nice cold beer.l

Fidget said...

Last night I made baked potato soup and a MASSIVE pot of beef stew. I ate baked potato soup for breakfast and will have beef stew for din din

Its been overcast here for 2 days now and I havent minded a bit

Bridgermama said...

ooo, that looks soooo good. The midwest hotdish-lovin' girl in me is definitely salivating.