Sunday, July 16, 2006

My right leg


Oooh isn't that an attractive shot? My leg hurts, is wrapped up like the little brother in "A Christmas Story", and smells. I guess the smelly part has to do with the antiseptic they use during surgery. I can smell it but no one else seems to be able to. The girls give my leg kisses in the hopes that their magical powers will heal me so that I can dance with them again. It is such a sweet gesture but it makes me a bit weepy as well.

I have never been laid up like this before and it is such a huge deal for me. It does hinder a bit on our finances since I am the primary bread winner in the family. However, my employer has allowed me to do some work from home. It is really great to work with such a supportive group of people. One of the guys at work even brought me blueberries that his wife picked from their garden for me. They say it is just their way to make up for all of the work I have done for the project. I just hope I get the go ahead to get back to work soon. It looks like only one more week of being stuck at home and then I should be able to go back at least part time.
The girls are adjusting but Cat did have a major break down at the grocery store with my parents today. She couldn't use a car cart and she started crying saying "I want my mama to take care of me now!" When I heard that it broke my heart. I miss playing with them, going for walks around our neighborhood, even trying to get them to stay in their beds at night. S has been great taking on most of the parenting duties 24/7 since the accident. My parents came to help out this weekend which was also nice because they got to hang out with Nana and PopPop who are so much fun, but my girls really wore them out. I think they understand a little more why we are perfectly happy with just two kids.
S was able to get the first coat of paint on the house this weekend, it is called Malanga from Miller Paints and everyone seems to love it. I haven't been out to see it yet but S took pictures and sent them to my email, it is such an improvement over the white on white color scheme the house has had since it was built in 1956. Other exciting news, I was able to find a new sewing table and chair from Craigslist and ebay. I am going to change the fabric (it currently has burgundy naugahyde) on the sewing chair but otherwise I love the style of the two pieces, very danish mid century. So even though I can't get out of bed I can plan my sewing room for when I can finally get off my back. I think I will have S dig out all of my knitting stuff tomorrow so that I have more to do than just watch HGTV, do my work reports, and play on the internet.
I think the best things about being laid up is that it forces me to rest and I am able to catch up on my blog reading. You might hear from me a little more often in the next few weeks.

13 comments:

Cityslicker Mom said...

Hopefully you'll get lots of snuggle time with your girls.:)

sunshine scribe said...

Oh my. No fun. I hope you feel better soon and get lots of pampering and snuggling during the recovery process. Take care.

chichimama said...

How hard for you and te kids. So glad they got some nice time with the grandparents this weekend, hopefully it gave your husband a bit of a break too.

I'll keep myy fingers crossed that it heals soon and you can start getting back to normal.

Bridgermama said...

I think your cast is positively lovely ;) Just think, one day you will look back on all of this and laugh! Thank goodness for loving, helpful families. You will be up running around with your sprites in no time!

1girl2boys said...

Sorry about your leg, that's gotta be tough.

And those car carts have caused way too many tantrums for us. They need more of those. We have to search all of the entrances before shopping to find one.

growingalife said...

I feel for ya! After my ankle infection where my cat bit me (and the ensuing hospital stay and put-your-foot-up orders), I totally relate. You win, though! ;) Hope you have a fast, perfect recovery.

landismom said...

Ooph, the poor girls. It is so hard to realize that your parents are vulnerable. An important lesson, but still a difficult one. But it's great that you have help from your parents.

nonlineargirl said...

I am sorry you are off your feet for a while but hope you can milk your situation for more blueberry deliveries!

Mrs. Chicky said...

Oh, the foot. Your poor, poor foot. Get all the love and blueberries you can while they're being doled out so liberally.

laura said...

Oh My God, you poor thing. I hope you rest well and get better soon so you don't have to have that cast on too long!

mama without instructions said...

how miserable! it sounds like you are dealing with as much grace as possible. i hope you are healing quickly and that the whole family can adjust to this new routine for a short while. i broke my ankle years ago (not as bad as yours) and it was excruciating. get well soon, lady!

mama without instructions said...

how miserable! i broke my ankle years ago (not as bad as yours) and it was excruciating. sounds like you are managing pretty well considering. i hope you heal quickly and feel better verry soon!

mama without instructions said...

ok, so i'm lame! i just saw the note about comment moderation. feel free to delete one of my duplicate-ish posts. :)