Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Jabber jaws


Jabber jaws is what my parents called me when I was little.  I would talk and talk and talk with barely a breath in between my words.  However, I was painfully shy when I was not around my family or close friends.  Cat is not shy, she will talk to anyone, anywhere.   So she talks when she is home, she talks to the checker at the grocery store, she talks to the lady on the bus, she talks to whoever will listen.  I am glad that she is so outgoing but it is starting to scare me a little.  We have talked to her about strangers but instead of just not talking to strangers she will say "you are a stranger so I will not talk to you."  Then she begins to tell this "stranger" her life story including all of our names and her birth date.  We talk to her about being a nice girl and not needing to talk to everyone she sees, but I don't want to thwart her curiosity.  She loves learning about people.  How do you deal with this issue? 

5 comments:

chichimama said...

We have the same problem with C. The pediatrician once told us we had to make sure to have long, long talks about strangers.

We've found that some books have helped, and time has helped too. We've also had "pretend" conversations with strangers where we talk about the weather, their outfits, etc, etc. He sort of gets it now. Thankfully, he is still also sort of hard to understand ;-0.

Good luck...

Cityslicker Mom said...

I had the same issue. at first i told my son not to talk to anyone he didnt know, but then that just didnt work, i mean, he sees me doing it at the store, the post office, etc. plus at times they may need to talk to strangers for some reason. what i tell him now is that he cant talk to strangers if i'm not with him. i figure when we're at the store and some sweet old lady comes up to talk, or anyone, i have control over the situation, so it's okay. when he goes to pre-k this year it will be a different story.

Mommy off the Record said...

Sorry, no advice here. I'm still in the baby stage. If you'd asked what to do for baby diarreah, I coulda helped ya.

:)

maalea_mama said...

Bearenstein Bears Learn about strangers is what we read to our kids. that seemed to help a little. But T-man gets really shy with strangers even when we are there. E-chickee isn't a problem yet.

Fidget said...

Get some kids books about the subject. You want to inform her but not scare her. I'm facing similar issues but Tessa is still to young to "get it"