Friday, May 05, 2006

Does your mom read your blog?

My mom reads my blog (Hi Mama!). We were talking on the phone last night and I was mentioning about Aly being sick and she said "oh, I remember reading that on your blog." But when she says the word blog it comes out of her mouth like she isn't quite sure if that is the right word to use. How ever she says it the accent is always on the word blog, "I read that on your bbblllloggg." Oh boy she is going to hate me for making fun of her. But that is what I do, it is just a part of our relationship.

I feel really lucky to have such a great relationship with my mom. We are friends and I love hanging out with her. She is a great nana and loves to spend time with the girls. They live up in Seattle and since we live much closer to them now, versus us living in Sacramento, we are able to see both her and my dad (Poppops to the kids) much more often. They have even been thinking about moving to Portland next year after my dad retires.

My mom has gone back to school to take night classes in horticulture. Her true passion is gardening and she has done some design projects as well. Once my dad retires she would love to start her own landscape design business. I told her the sooner they move the sooner my garden can become a showplace for her talents. I do some gardening but it is nothing compared to my mom. I greatly admire that she is following her passion.

Thanks Mama for being a constant inspiration to me and the girls. I know that you wish that you would have followed your passions earlier but if anything I have learned from that. I want to show my girls that you can be a mama and follow your passions, find a path in life and do what you love. I am sorry that it took so long for you to finally be able to pursue your life long dream but you are doing it now and that is all that counts.

So Happy Mother's Day (just a week early), I love you Mama. - Heather

13 comments:

landismom said...

Great post, and I am envious of your relationship with your mom. But to your initial question? A resounding no!

PB said...

You make my heart full! Happy Birthday a couple days early.

Love,
Mama

chichimama said...

My mom reads my blog too. I often start telling her about something and she'll stop me by saying "Oh, I know about that, i read your blog. What ELSE is new?"

It's great that you and your mom have such a great relationship...

Mary Tsao said...

My mom reads my blog, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not!

But in general, I get a lot of that, "Oh, I read that on your bblloogg..." stuff from friends. I never know if what I'm telling somebody is a rehash of what they already know because they read it on my blog! The problem is that even though they read it, they don't comment.

Have I answered your question or written my own post? :)

sunshine scribe said...

You sound like you have a wonderful mom. And she clearly has a wonderful daughter!

My mom doesn't read my blog, because we don't share the same kind of wonderful relationship you do. I wish we did.

bitemycookie said...

that was so sweet. my mom only reads when one of my sisters calls to tell her that i've embarassed one of them or myself on the interwebs. or when i announced that i'm pgs. i'm envious that you and your mom are so tight. that's super cool. (i'm about to hire a landscaper to change my yard - your mom want first crack at it?)

Stephanie said...

That is nice that you have a good relationship with your mom.

No one (except DH) that I know in real life knows about my blog. I have, lets just say, a strained relationship with my mom. I adore my husband's family but they are ultra-conservative and I'm just conservative, so I'm always afraid that they will read something I write and take it the wrong way. It is jsut easier for me to keep real life out. How sad is that?

Jenn said...

And this is why I keep 2 different blogs! One is a private one for friends'n'family updates and photos (not everyone wants their pics plastered across the internet) and the other one is where I don't have worry about what I type. Not that the second one is nasty or always bitchy, but it's nice not to have to constantly contemplate editing and censoring myself.

something blue said...

It's wonderful to be able to have that kind of relationship with your mom. I am one of the lucky one's too and yes she does read my blog. (or at least skims it for any new photos of her granddaughters!)

rhonda said...

My mom reads my blog too. She is one of my biggest fans!

I have a wonderful relationship with my mom, just like you do with yours. I am so glad for that. She is one of my bestest buddies!

Fidget said...

I dont THINK my mom does but who knows, maybe she has found it and somehow managed to hold her tongue (not likely!)

What a lovely tribute to your mom and thanks for hosting me this week.

Cat said...

My mom reads my blog. I posted about this and was surprised at how many don't allow anyone to read. I guess it depends on the content.

mommy on the verge said...

That is a sweet tribute to your Mom. My mom is a retired nurse and she used to play volleyball in an adult league at nights. So, when we were little, my Dad would take us to see her play.
So, she definately taught us not to give up your passions just because you become a mother!