Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Business Advice

I need some advice on how to write about a sensitive subject. One of the things that I decided when I first started this blog was that I would not write about work. Well, you know how that goes, never say never. It seems like the only thing I want to talk about today is work and I don't know how to do it the right way.

I really like the people I work with, my team is great. I like the organization I work for and my bosses (I have a few of them). However, I don't like the commute, I am over qualified, and even though I seem to get recognition for all of my hard work, there is never any talk of promotion or raise. I was talking to one of my co-workers yesterday who was complaining that the only way to get the recognition you deserve is by leaving the company. Then they decide they miss you and that you are worth much more to the project than they realized.

I feel that this, in many ways, is a complaint that many people have with their jobs, especially women. I have been in this position before and although I hate perpetuating stereotypes there is a big difference working for a woman as opposed to a man. It is just different, enough said.

So I got a little bit off my chest and I feel better now. Nothing big just my current frustrations.

Where is my advice you guys? Do you write about work? If you do how careful are you? I would never use any specifics only generalizations because I am just too chicken shit to write anything else.

4 comments:

honey said...

the first thing I would say is that you need to read the fine print of all that paperwork you signed when they hired you. And nevereverevernever post to the blog during work hours or from a company building.

There's more advice on this front but I think those two points are the most important. We can discuss the rest later. ;-)

rhonda said...

I don't really talk too much about work on my blog. Some people from work READ my blog, so I have gotta be careful...

landismom said...

I actually started a second blog, to blog about work-related things, because I was worried about people connecting me to my main blog if something happened with work-related blogging. I think honey's advice is important--don't blog from work or on company-provided equipment. Also, don't reveal trade secrets.

Mama C-ta said...

Yeah what Honey said. But I was guilty of that when I worked...never used specifics though.