Sunday, April 30, 2006

Back to normal

Tomorrow it is back to normal for me. No more staying up late, watching bad daytime TV while the kids are napping, and seeing my beautiful girls every single day when they wake up. After a wonderful week off from work I go back to work tomorrow. So back to my schedule of out the door by 5:15, yes that is 5:15am, and back home by 6:00pm. The girls are in bed by 8:00 at the latest. During the week I only see them about 2 hours a night.

What is wrong with me? Why am I doing this? Well right now it is what is paying the bills. I am thankful that I am able to work and that my husband can stay at home during the day to watch the girls but it breaks my heart on a daily basis. Cat will ask me almost every night if I need to go to work in the morning and why can't Daddy go to work and I stay home. The girls love their Dad, he takes them to fun places but I am the cuddler, the crafter, and the gardener parent. These happen to be big on my kids list especially the cuddling part. So for now I try to make the most of the time we do have which is what this last week was all about. We went to the zoo, met some dinosaurs in Berkeley (not the professors), did some delightful fingerpainting, planted some new flowers and did lots and lots of cuddling. I took a nap with Cat everyday while we were on vacation. When she would wake up we would read stories and have a little 1:1 time playing outside.

So tomorrow it is back to normal, back to my buddies on the bus and train, back to my co-workers (who are just a little on the needy side), and back to my nights with the kids. But for this last afternoon I am still a stay at home mama and they are waking up from their nap. I think a walk before dinner is in order.

3 comments:

Mommy off the Record said...

What do they say, it's the quality of time you spend not the quantity? I think that's definitely true and it sounds like you make every second you have with your kids count.

At the same time, I do know that it's hard to work FT and be apart. It was really hard for me when I went back to work after my son was born. But I do feel a bit like our time together is more special since we're not always with each other. I don't know. It's hard.

Anyway, hope you guys got a nice walk in :)

chichimama said...

How hard for everyone. I hope the transition back goes as smoothly as it can go.

sunshine scribe said...

Good luck with your transition back. I always get a bad case of the post vacation blues. Sounds like you had a wonderful time though.