Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Curiosity


Cat's favorite story is the one about the day she was born. She loves hearing about how she would kick me in my belly and all about Dr. Eddy, our OB. She loves hearing about it so much that it has become part of our nighttime ritual. We look at pictures of me when I was pregnant with her and we talk about how she used to sleep with Mama and Daddy and how I nursed her. She tells me all about the baby in her belly. She is starting to get into playing house, just like she plays princess and train conductor. She is usually the mama and either Aly or one of her stuffed animals is the baby.

She also talks about another baby, I am not sure if it is just her pretending that she is going to have a baby or if she wants us to have another baby. When I tell her that I am not going to have any more babies she is fine with that. She tells me that one of her friends (stuffed animals) can be my new baby.

It is an interesting age, 3 ½. She is interested in the world and has many questions for us. However no explanation, no matter how detailed, is ever good enough that it doesn’t warrant another “Why” when you are done with your explanation. Along with this comes her curiosity about boys and girls, brothers and sisters, mamas and daddies. There are questions she asks and I really am not sure how to answer it. She takes everything in, thinks about it for a second, and then lets me know whether I am right or not. S and I look at her sometimes and wonder how she grew up so fast.

Now Aly is the one changing from baby to kid. I remember this phase with Cat. The more her communication skills improve the more her whining diminishes. It is nice to sit at the table have dinner and not have her tossing her food all over the place. She says “all done” and then hands us her bowl or plate or cup. Then she will, usually, happily sit and read a book. What happened to those tantrums of just a few weeks ago? She is also really picky about what she sleeps with, no pillow or animals for her. No she will only sleep with her blanket and her torn up copy of “Biscuit” her very favorite book. The back cover has fallen off, but she loves to put it under her and sleep on top of it and then when she wakes up in the morning she sits up and looks at the book, you can hear little phrases every now and again that she has memorized from the book. It is one of the cutest things ever.

2 comments:

Bridgermama said...

I have been alarmed by how fast my little one has been growing and changing. You are supposed to tell me that the process starts to slow down...I guess I really need to savor every moment because it continues to move at warp speed.

Stephanie said...

Your girls sound adorable.