Thursday, February 02, 2006

Why Barbie?

Do we ever stop imposing our own likes and dislikes on our children? I was thinking about this the other day as I was arguing with my three year old over why I wouldn't purchase her a Barbie. After all she doesn't know who Barbie is, she just thinks she is a blond princess ballerina. I remember being little and wanting all the Barbies that my friends had, but my mom's reasoning to me when I was five was that they promoted a bad body image for girls. Now that didn't mean crap to me at five, but it does now. I eventually got a whole group of Barbies and I don't ever remember thinking I want to be Barbie. In fact my friend and I ended up turning all of our Barbies into punk rockers with green mohawks and safety pin clothes, but I digress.

The whole point I am trying to make is that I don't remember caring why I couldn't have Barbies, I just remember them being so fun to play with at my friends house and that my mom, the meanie, wouldn't let me have some too. Now I have this great dislike for Barbie, I just don't want Cat to have them. So I try to introduce other dolls, Groovy Girls for instance, they don't have huge breast sans nipples like Barbie.

I want my daughters to discover on their own what they like and what they don't. I just need to stop grimacing when they spot a Barbie. And so help me God if my mom buys them Barbies I will be beyond pissed.

No comments: