Thursday, February 02, 2006

What do you want to be when you grow up?

What do you want to be when you grow up?  When I ask that of my daughter Cat her typical answer is a ballerina princess dentist teacher.  At three years old she feels as if she can be all those things.  When do we stop wanting to be ballerinas?  Sometimes as a working mama I feel like it is hard enough for me to just find enough time in the day for my husband and kids, let alone time for myself.    

So what would I do if I had time, if I could do whatever I wanted to do?  My education background is in public policy, which I love and find incredibly interesting.  My love growing up was architecture and design (although you can't really tell by looking at our house).  I love being a mama and teaching my girls about the world.  I would love to find a partner and help start a business.  So how would I do all these things?  I would find a job where I could work part time on public policy issues, specifically water resources which is what I worked on in California.  Then I might be able to carve out some time during the week to work on fixing up our home and making it a cute little hybrid mid-century modern/craftsman house.  Spend some time each week showing my girls all the great things in Portland, taking them to classes, to the library, running around our fabulous neighborhood.  Last but not least helping my mom start her own garden design consulting company, this would only be fitting for the world's best gardener/nana.

However, right now I can't be all those things, reality knocks me on the head to remind me that I am the primary bread winner at the moment.  I work and my husband stays home with the kids.  That is what we do.  At night when the kids go to bed he rehearses and I try to have a little time by myself.   He promises me that when his band finishes recording their album and sells millions of copies I can quit my job, and do whatever I want to do but that hasn't happened yet.  But when it does I will have a plan. 


No comments: