Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Mama, Mommy or Mom?

What do your kids call you? For me it used to be mama, but now mommy has slowly been phased in, or should I say mommeeeeeeeeeee. Now the dreaded mom has entered into my 3 1/2 year olds vocabulary. I say dreaded because that was a bad word in our house growing up. I was not allowed to call my Mom and Dad those names except when I was using them as titles. So what do I call them now? I still call them Mama and Papa and I am fine with that. It was a little embarrassing in high school when my friends would often make fun of me and ask me if I was three. Now though, maybe because I want to always be a Mama, I find it endearing. I try to use mama all the time with my kids. I tell them my name is not mom or mommy but mama, I am hoping that their new ways will revert back and I will soon only be known as Mama. Maybe there is a point in most kids lives where they stop calling their mom Mama, but I am not ready to accept defeat just yet.

1 comment:

Cityslicker Mom said...

i know what you mean. each of those words mama, mom, and mommy all have a different feel. weird, huh?